Reporting to the Director of Public Works, the Manager of Waste Facilities leads the day-to-day operations of the Township’s Waste Facilities. Key areas of responsibility include; monitoring, planning, developing waste facilities; supervision of waste facility Staff; coordination of waste facility contractors; research and development of waste programs; acts as the liaison for the Township waste facility sites. The Manager of Waste Facilities ensures supervisory and safety components are met and will respond to public inquiries on a regular basis. The Manager of Waste Facilities is required to be on-call and may be required to work extended hours as required.
This is a full time position, consisting of 35 hours/week, being variable shifts, including days, evenings, weekends and some Statutory holidays. Salary will commensurate with experience and skills.
- Post-secondary education in Biological Sciences/Environmental Sciences, Civil Engineering or equivalent is preferred
- SWANA Certification (MOLO, HHW, Transfer Stations etc.), or willingness to complete
- CPR/First Aid Certification, or willingness to complete
- Working at Heights Certification, or willingness to complete
- Possession of a valid ‘G” Driver’s License
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in progressively responsible related positions, including a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in the supervision of unionized staff and the administration of employment policies is required
- Proven excellent knowledge of waste management/diversion
- Knowledge of other Public Works Operations or willingness to obtain
- Excellent knowledge of related legislation, pertinent to waste facility operation and maintenance such as Environmental Protection Act, Highway Traffic Act, Municipal Act, Technical Standard and Safety Act, OHSA, Drainage Act, , Endangered Species Act
- Proven excellent knowledge of waste facility processes, procedures, policies, directives and guidelines
- Thorough knowledge of equipment, vehicles and materials used in waste facilities programs and services
- Excellent supervisory skills and should be competent in the interpretation and application of employment policies, regulations, acts, guidelines and a Collective Agreement
- Proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office Suites and databases
- Flexible, adaptive and responsive to change
Prior to the final selection for this position, the candidate shall be required to provide, at their own expense, a Background Check from the Ontario Provincial Police or appropriate Police Force and Driver’s Abstract.
For a complete list of requirements and accountabilities for this position, please visit our website at www.mindenhills.ca/careers, or contact Human Resources.
Qualified applicants may submit a cover letter and detailed resume of education and experience by 12:00 noon, February 3, 2023. The Township may begin the process of reviewing and selecting applicants for an interview at any time during this recruitment period.
Manager of Waste Facilities Career Opportunity
Township of Minden Hills
7 Milne St, PO Box 359
Minden, ON K0M 2K0
Attention: Shannon Prentice, Deputy Clerk
We thank all who apply for this position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Township of Minden Hills is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodation can be provided in all steps of the hiring process. For accommodation options and to ensure full and equal access during the recruitment and selection process, contact the Clerks Department. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the information gathered will be used solely for the purpose of job selection.